I have been reading a Dr Peter Levine’s work on trauma that is held in our bodies. Pain is truly cerebral. His work takes people through the acts of moving and sensations rather than focusing on old memories. I have been using guided imagery (bhavana) with my patients and uncovering deep seeded roots. The emphasis is purely on feeling sensations in their body, that they are only sensations from body to brain, that the brain is the creator of the emotional attachment. And then….I have them imagine they are moving without fear of moving, without pain. They either come out of it with uncontrolled tears, from where, they don’t know or they come out with a new idea to change their path. And sometimes they come out saying, “thanks for the journey.” I see their breath change through the process. Slow and controlled to rapid and shallow as they conjure up images. But in the end I bring them back to the breath, a movement which is under our control…..and remind them to Just Breathe.
Connect on Facebook
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Pre-hab: Prepare Yourself for Surgery
- Shoulder Series: Pain relief and strength using mind, body, breath awareness
- In. This. Moment. Why Are We Hurting Ourselves?
- Hic-Hic-Hic…..A Method to Relieve Hiccups
- 4 Ways to Get Your “Yoga On-the-Go”
- Non-grippers only!….4+1 Poses/Exercises for Awareness + Strengthening of the Pelvic Floor
- Ahhhh…..3 Simple Poses/Practices for Awareness and Relaxation of the Pelvic Floor
- Back Pain and Pelvic Pain and Stress?—Oh My!
- Peeing Too Often?: Overactive Bladder Syndrome
- Chronic Inflammation: Let Food Be Your Pharmacy (Part III)
- Chronic Inflammation: Change your Lifestyle, Change your Genes. (Part II)
- Chronic Inflammation: Are you at risk? Where do NSAIDS fit in? (Part I)
- Trust Your Gut, Heal Your Gut: A Personal Story
- Ouch, my jaw hurts!……must be my TMJ, or is it?
- Find Resolve in Impermanence: A Look at Dancer’s Pose
- Cup Therapy (Cupping) for Pain Relief & Rehabilitation
- Find Balance: From Your Yoga Practice to Daily Life (Part II: Mental Balance)
- Find Balance: From Your Yoga Practice to Daily Life (Part I: Physical Balance)
- Posture: Looking for Patterns
- Letter To the Editor of Physical Therapy Journal: Stress Management as an Adjunct to Physical Therapy for Chronic Neck Pain
- Chronic Inflammation: Could it be making you depressed?
- Interview with Tianna Meriage-Reiter, PT, DPT, PYT on Shanti Green
- Conservative Treatment for Plantar Fascitis: It isn’t all just stretching
- Chronic Pain: Changing Your Brain
- Headaches: Help without Medication
- Holiday De-stress: Your Mind & Body will Thank You!
- Learn to be Still: Understanding Fatigue
- “Sideshow Bob” with a lesson in “Keeping Quiet”
- Breath of Fresh Air
- You are not your diagnosis to be “fixed”